By george, I think she's got it

Now, I don't blog as much as I should do about raising my kids bilingually. Being bilingual, especially in Wales has its advantages. According to the Twf website, having two languages can give your child a head start in :

  • learning to read and count
  • making new friends
  • understanding the best of two cultures    
  • finding work in the future – bilingual skills are in high demand
  • learning a foreign language
I know that I haven't spoken as much Welsh as I should have done with the girls when they were babies, but since they've both started talking I have been trying my hardest and ever since Car started going to a Welsh medium nursery things have improved.

The other night we were reading her a bedtime story ,of her choosing so it was a simple board book one. This one in fact:


And as you can see it is a book about colours, so we were asking her what they were in Welsh as well as English.


She got them all:

Red - Coch
Yellow - Melyn etc

until we got to the page where Mr Pusskins is in the bath - in the blue (Glas) bath.
So Neb asked her "What Colour is that Car?"
She answered "Glas "
He said :"In English"
Car: "Glas daddy"
This went on for a while with Car determined that the English word was Glas.
Neb then changed tactic and asked her what her favourite colour was (Blue) and guess what she said


GLAS DADDY! 


BNM

Comments